Jaya Jaya Sankara Hara Hara Sankara,
Below is the list of karmas we need to do on Aavani Avittam day. The date of Upaakarma varies on the Veda one belongs to and the country/city one lives in. Please check with local Vadhiyars or Panchangam on the same. The procedure manual and audio listed below are for Yajur Veda but if there are interested volunteers who can work with me we can create content for other Vedas too and upload them. The existing content can be modified and published so all the Vedic sects benefit and all the contents are in one place.
One key thing, please take a look at the karmas listed below which needs to be done on the Upaakarma day. Is is really possible to complete all the specified karmas (including all our nithya karmas) by 7AM/8AM/9AM batches like we do in temples these days? I asked a few Vadhiyars about this and all I get is a standard answer. People don’t have time nor dedication so we have to flexible to their needs! On Aavani Avittam, it is almost impossible to have Vadhiyars to come to our home and do this function leisurely and sincerely as they would have been solidly booked. So it’s a judgement call one has to make whether to skip many of the karmas and do it in a temple within an hour or understand the meaning & do in our homes sincerely. From my personal experience, over the past few years I could only complete all these karmas only around 2PM.
Moreover, karmas like Yajnopaveeta Dharanam, Kaandarishi Tharpanam all has to be done by noon (or afterwards) so all the more reasons for doing it the right way by taking the day off and doing these karmas sincerely rather than doing in a vestigial fashion. We also need to understand the purpose of Upaakarma which is to initiate the study of Vedas and not just changing Poonal :-). We all know how much Maha Periyava has emphasized on the need to do anushtanams sincerely without rushing up and also understand the significance behind all the Mantras.
My heartfelt thanks to Shri.V. Sriram Ganapadigal and Shri Vijaya Sharma for the fabulous audio content. We have provided enough pause and breaks in between so the audio files can be played while doing the karma. Shri V. Sriram Ganapadigal has explained the meaning and significance of every karma so we can start listening to those right away (just the meaning part & not mantras); also take a look at the document as we need to do some prep. work ahead of time and get ready for the grand Aavani Avittam day!
Happy Aavani Avittam to all! Ram Ram
Upaakarma Procedure Manual and Audio Content – http://dharmaanushtanams.webs.com
Upaakarma (Aavani Avittam) Day
1. Kshowaram/Vapanam (Brahmachari’s only)
2. Snaanam (Nithya Karma)
3. Sandhyaa Vandanam (Nithya Karma – Prathas Sandhyam)
4. Samithaa Dhaaanam (Nithya Karma – Brahmachari’s only)
5. Owpaasanam and Vaiswadevam (Nithya Karma – Gruhastha’s Only)
6. Kamo Karsheeth Japam (Not for Brahmachari’s doing first Aavani Avittam/Upaakarma)
7. Kshowaram/Vapanam and Snaanam (Brahmachari’s Only)
8. Sandhyaa Vandanam (Nithya Karma – Madhyaanikam)
9. Brahma Yajnam (Nithya Karma)
10. Mahaa Sankalpam
11. Snaanam/Prokshana Mantram
12. Yajnopaveeta Dhaaranam
13. Maunjee/Ajina/Dhanda Dhaaranam (Brahmachari’s only)
14. Kaanda Rishi Tharpanam
15. Naandhi (Only for Brahmachari’s Thalai Aavani Avittam)
16. Veda Vyaasa Pooja, Shraavana Homam, and Vedhaarambam
17. Neivadhyam, Aarthi, and Prasadam
18. Upaayana Dhaanam (Sambaavanai and Aaseerwadham)
20. Snaanam (Nithya Karma)
21. Sandhyaa Vandanam (Nithya Karma – Sayaam Sandhyam)
22. Samithaa Dhaaanam (Nithya Karma – Brahmachari’s only)
23. Owpaasanam (Nithya Karma – Gruhastha’s Only)
Gayathri Japam Steps (Next Day Morning)
All the steps listed in Nithya Karmas need to be performed with the addition of Gayathri Japam (with homam for Brahmachari’s) which needs to be done after completion of Praathah Sandhyaa Vandanam and Praatah Samithaa Dhaanam for Brahmachari’s; Gruhastha’s should complete Praathah Sandhyaa Vandanam and Owpaasanam. All the other steps in Nithya Karmas remain the same.
2. Praathah Sandhyaa Vandanam
3. Praatah Samithaa Dhaanam (Brahmachari’s Only)
4. Owpaasanam and Vaiswadevam (Gruhastha’s Only)
7. Brahma Yajnam
8. Parishechanam – Morning & Afternoon (Bhojana Vidhi)
10. Saayam Sandhyaa Vandhanam
11. Saayam Samithaa Dhaanam (Brahmachari’s Only)
12. Owpaasanam (Gruhastha’s Only)
13. Parishechanam – Evening & Night (Bhojana Vidhi)