In the old sayings and adages there are many references to the 10 deeds. thirun^Avukkarachar refers to the ten characteristic deeds of the slaves of the Lord. (paththu kolAm adiyAr cheykai thAnE) . mANikka vAchakar also refers to these 10 great deeds in thiruvempAvai.(paththudaiyIr ! Ichan pazavadiyIr !!).
One of the eighteen purANas ska.ndha purANam tells about the 10 explicit activities, 3 implicit activities of the devotees and also tells the 10 marks of the devotees.
10 Explicit Activities
- Being adorned with Holy Ash and rudrAxam
- Adoring the guide (guru)
- Praising and saluting the Lord Who holds the river gaN^ga
- Chanting the names of Lord shiva
- Pilgrimage to abodes of Lord shiva
- Listening to the glories of Lord shiva (shiva purANams)
- Venerating the devotees of Lord shiva
- Eating in the homes of the devotees of Lord shiva
- Donating to the guru who is a devotee of Lod shiva
3 Implicit Activities
- japam (chanting – internal)
- Worshiping the God in the mind
- Realising and rejoicing the experiance of God
10 Marks of devotees
- Variations in the fervent voice
- Twitching of tongue
- Twitching of lips
- Body shivering
- Hair raising excitement
- Staggered walk
- Pour forth tears
- Loosing self in the Supreme conscience
We may not get to this level….the best we could do is keep chanting “Om Nama Shivaya” ……..
Categories: Devotee Experiences
Dear all followers/lovers of DIVINITY,
We should all aim for such attitudes to reach DIVINE.I am confident these qualities will be bestowed upon us by the grace of GOD if we pursue their path sincerely.Don’t allow evil designs to enter in lives citing various excuses as wearing leather goods,silk clothes,eating nonvegetarian is good for
health and will bring fame/prospects for us,instead these evil designs will ruin the patron’s family.Don’t pray to DIVINE if you do things against god.
this is wonderful and most of the things we can do without any problem at all. of course i have rudraksham but i am afraid to wear it because of some restrictions!!!! n.ramaswami
we should not say ‘we may not get these’. In the sastras it is said that ‘manana, dhyana, nidityasana’. By simply chanting the holy names we can not attain the higher goal. ‘manidhanum deivam agalam’. ‘Saalokyam, saameepyam , saayujyam’ We shall go to the abode of God first, will go near to him secondly and finally merge with Him. We should hv firm faith in Him and shall get all these.