In continuation to my New Year message and the responses I got for initiating veda rakshana activities at some modest level – such as supporting veda pata salas, etc – I have some more details to share & thoughts with you. This is a little longer post – PLEASE read this fully.
To begin with, three important points::
- First, I thank sincerely all who favorably responded. There is no other mission closer to our Mahaperiyava than supporting Vedic Patasalais.
- Second, as this whole effort is virtual, our collective commitment to this and degree of continuity in sustaining this contribution for this effort year-after-year is likely to fluctuate. Hence, we should restrict our model only to “support existing pata sala(s)” to run without any interruption and not running/starting an entire pata sala all by ourselves.
- Third and most importantly, you all know that our Periyava had always wanted each and every household to give at least Rs 1 for such effort so that the punyam goes to all. He is such a karunamurthy. So, my goal is to ensure that each and every reader here contributes at least Rs 1 for this. Rather than saying “donate liberally” to a few I want to only say “please donate no matter how small your contribution is” to all.
Now, let me share some information I gathered through Shri Chandramouli (an auditor by profession) who manages Shivarpana Trust, which is in existence only to carry out Mahaperiyava projects (veda rakshana is one of them) and some plans from my side….
1. To run a pata sala of 10 students and 1 teacher, it takes Rs 50,000/month. This includes rent, power, healthcare, books, food, bedding for students etc. So, we need Rs 6 Lakhs per year to support one school for 1 year. I do realize our reader base is of varied types – working, retired, students, housewives etc and the comfort level varies accordingly. With our reader base of 547 (as of today), if we could achieve Rs 1000/reader, we can easily meet this number. Also I do realize that there is no compulsion to collect Rs 6 Lakhs but given our generous heart, it should be doable.
2. If we are able to mobilize a considerable amount, then I will share the list of padasalais that will be supported (based on the ground reality) through us and the nature of support. Rest assured that every penny we collect would go towards vedic cause and nothing else. We would not spend even one paise on any administrative causes for running this trust. Every paise will be channeled to the chosen padasalai.
When you send the cheques, please ensure to send your name, address and your email id in a piece of paper along with the cheque. This is very essential for tracking. Even if you want to sponsor anonymously, I still need these info.
While donations to KKSF can be tax-deductible, contributions to Shree Shivarpanam Trust is not. For those, who require a tax advantage through this donation, please send me an email. We need to figure different trust for this purpose. In my opinion, papas are the only thing to be deducted and punyam should be the only gain
My sincere thanks to Sri Chandramouli, who has generously agreed to help me with this initiative and Professor Sridhar, who has been giving stellar support in everything I do. I will introduce these two gentlemen to this forum soon.
As a closing note, I am typically not a guy who runs any donation campaigns (in fact this is my first) and lose your trust. As I found this cause closest to our Periyava’s heart, I dared to attempt this with a hope that Periyava will guide me. Thanks to each and every reader, who has been visiting this blog and supporting me so far.
Jaya Jaya Shankara Hara Hara Shankara
Kanchi Shankara Kamakoti Shankara